While driving down a road with no traffic at varying speeds, swing the car
slowly back and forth left to right.  If you hear the noise or feel the
vibration swinging left, it's usually the right wheel bearing or brake.
Swinging the car right, its the left wheel bearing or brake.  This tends to
eliminate suspension problems since you aren't turning the wheel very much
at higher speeds.  I've used this technique often in the past to check wheel
bearings; especially when we used the old troublesome fiber grease on wheel
bearings.

Another technique we used was to feel the temperature of the grease cap on
one side compared with the temperature on the other side after a long, fast
run.   Bad bearings generated more heat.  When stopping to check the grease
caps brakes must not be used.  The car must be geared down and allowed to
coast to a stop.
Gerry