79 300TD I redid the brakes a couple weeks ago, new rear calipers, bled
out all old fluid, etc.  Worked really fine.

A few days ago, no brake boost, or rather, a bit of boost at first pedal
push then nothing), slow turning off.  Checked all the vac lines, looked
OK.  Drove it again today, same problems.  So put the vac meter on the
line, getting about 22in vac, OK, push the brake pedal, goes down to
like 5in or so, really low, and no boost, builds back slowly.  So pumped
down the booster with the mity vac, same thing (which maybe I would
expect since no constant vac on it).  (This says the booster is probably
OK, not leaking vac?  Or maybe since that check valve is in there it
could be leaking down in the booster?  The check valve is stuck in the
hose really tightly, can't get it out with destroying it so hard to test
the booster straightaway.)  Put the vac gauge on with engine running,
getting 22in vac, push the brake, goes down low again but does not build
up, then vac needle going crazy bouncing between vac and pressure.
Whussup wif dat?  Took off the gauge and sho nuff you can feel
huffing/puffing and no constant suction.  Weird, it just did that.
Maybe doing it before too.

So now I'm thinking the vac pump must be acting up again (I have rebuilt
it twice now). but since I was getting a good vac there for awhile I am
thinking those little one way valves inside the vac pump must be clogged
or inop or something?  That sound like a good diagnosis?  Think if I
suck on each hose coming right from the pump, or maybe blow some air
into them, that might do something (useful)?  I am thinking the booster
is probably OK, must be there in the vac pump somewhere.

There is a bit of oil in the lines, I guess maybe that could be clogging
things up.  I am reluctant to take the vac pump off/apart again, though
I am pretty good at it by now.

Any thoughts?

--R