> What are the usual sources on a W-123 Sedan for water to enter the passenger
> side front compartment?
>
> Any thoughts where to look first, second, third.........

Firewall behind the battery compartment (you checked there). Windshield seal,
rear window seal. Sunroof drains. Hood hinge wells. The following are exerpts
from emails I have in my archive on the subject...

Rick Knoble
'85 300 CD
'87 190 DT

Leo, There are numerous places that can leak both front and back. The
sunroof is one of the least likely sources! In the front the windshield
seal (usually rust under the seal is letting water in) the area of the
hood hinges, the air inlet for the climate control system or the
condensate drains (often the drain tubes are occluded or have rotted
away) and rusting of the firewall under that battery tray are ALL
sources for water to enter the cabin. The water WILL travel under the
mats and end up in the rear footwells as that's the lowest spot in the
car). Water CAN enter around the rear window (the rear package shelf is
usually damp if this is the source) and migrate to the rear footwells
also.

To locate the source, remove the mats and have someone spray the car
with a HEAVY spray while you stare at the underside of the dash with a
powerful light source searching for water trails.

Marshall
--
  Marshall Booth

Rick,

It can take a long time to get the water to dry in the foam backing of the
carpets. Best thing is to
let them soak in the sun for a few days.

There are a number of ways for water to get in the car: bad windshield seal,
clogged sunroof drains,
rust thru behind the battery, clogged drains below the hood hinges, clogged air
plenum drains on the
firewall, and leaking evaporator drain tube are the usual.

Wray

Rick,

My 1985 300D leaks through the firewall near the battery tray.  To test
for this, pull the mats and carpets up, and stick a garden hose such
that water runs down the windshield on the passenger side. In my case,
you can see it trickle down the inside of the firewall.  I haven't
attempted to fix it, mainly for lack of time; but I recall some postings
about this very problem 2 or so years ago.

Jim

Thanks!  Any recommendations for patching the rust holes if I
can find them?
Andrew
300TD 1983