You wrote:<<looking back at you as an
> afterthought>>

Howdy -
    IMHO, car & truck drivers have the same problem with bicycles as we do
with motorcycles - we're just not accustomed to *seeing* motorcycles (or
bikes) on the highway.  We are looking for other cars not 2 wheelers.

    I and my friends have ridden street motorcycles and it;s *very* common
to approach an interection and see a car waiting at a stop sign.  They turn
toward the motorcycle and look *straight* at it as they then pull out
directly in front of the approaching bike.  One froend was a motorcycle
cop - after 3 or 4 accidents - 2 of which resulted in broken legs and pins
used to repair them, he went on to a different department.   Once he said
the driver looked at him and pulled out - he was too close to do anything
and hit the front fender.  As he was flying thru the air he thought, "Oh no,
not again!"   Of course, the 1st witnessed on the scene always aked, "Should
I call for help?"  Duh!  It's funny now, but not at the time.

    Anyway, that was in the 70s - now people have so many more things to
distract their attention - phones, DVD players, etc. - all the while making
it even more difficult to negotiate other vehicles in traffic.

    I think the way some people try to turn their passenger compartment into
a living room or entertainment room is causing dangerous distractions - and
they may not be documented by the accident investigators.  If they are the
info is not getting out to the public..

Larry T (67 MGB, 74 911, 78 240D, 91 300D)
PORSCHE POSTERS!  youroil.net
.