on 11/11/07 7:08 PM, Tom Hargrave at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I weighed 6 lb, so one gallon of soy oil weighs 7.6 pounds?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom Hargrave
> www.kegkits.com
> 256-656-1924

Took a contract this summer which requires a 50 mi. r/t commute each day.
The last three miles is the steepest state maintained road in the state.
It's a difficult climb on most vehicles to 4,500 ft. and just as difficult
on the brakes descending.

I had lots of faith in the ole 300D. Even with a/c running it tools right
along climbing the grade. Temp gauge stays in a good range even though low
gear and low spped negotiating hairpin curves. The motor and trans holds
back on the descent unlike others who are replacing brake pads every month.

Anyway, a "perk" is that I agreed to accept the WVO from the park (a favor
to the company considering the remote location). The used soy oil is good
quality. The food service pre-filters it while warm and replaces it into the
35# containers. Eight containers I haul off each week equals just about 40
ga.

Intention was to alter one of the cars with a two tank system. I decided
instead to build a processor at home and remove the glycerin. (Was planning
to build an "Appleseed processor" as I'd planned to replace the hot water
heater at home anyway.) Lye was no problem as another hobby is I make my own
soap. I order sodium hydroxide by the case anyway.

Thing was, I started looking into the cost of methanol and the thought of
having a 55 ga. drum of it sitting in the garage.

Solution? I shared samples of some of my homemade lye soap with management
and they suggested I produce it for the mercantile outlets.

It's "win win." Though the price of diesel has climbed from $2.899 to $3.409
in the past months, a gallon of the WVO yields about 30 bars of soap each
netting the cost of a gallon of fuel.

Tim

'85 300D 322K
'85 300D 223K