There is no instant mpg readout on the MB system. There are 2 average
mpg readouts...one is for the mpg since you reset the odo and the
other is for the particular trip you are currently running.

Your neighbor has an extremely exagerated vivid imagination.

My 320 CDI will indicate a high average of 42 on a 15 mile downhill
run but when I return home on the same run, the average is down to
about 33.
John