BZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTT, WRONG!  Methoxide is different.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methoxide
Our substance is actually sodium/potassium hydroxide solution in
methanol/ethanol.

Glycerine that is made from NaOH will NOT breakdown on the compost pile.
Excessive amounts of Na is not good for your ecosystem.

Luther

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 22:24:00 -0600, Timothy Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sodium hydroxide (lye same as I use to make soap)  and methanol = methoxide.
> Titrate the oil to get formula. Water in the WVO will react with the lye to
> saponify into soap rather than to separate glycerine. Product has to be
> washed anyway to yield a purer biodiesel. (Making soap, I'm mixing water
> with the lye (sodium hydroxide) to yield just the result I'm hoping will NOT
> happen when making biodiesel. )
>
> I'm not set up to reclaim the methanol from the glycerine yet. That would
> cut down on the cost.
>
> The methanol evaporates from the glycerine. Glycerine purified would have
> some value but the cost to do so isn't practical on small scale. It all
> breaks down on compost pile though..
>
> A note, glycerine is usually removed from commercial soaps as it have other
> value. Homemade and superfatted soaps retaining the glycerin are superior in
> cutting grease. I keep my MB mechanic supplied with goat milk shea butter
> soap. (Considering "while he was at it" he just happened to find the vac
> leak in the A/C one of the '85s. Didn't charge!)
>
> OK... please don't laugh, Y'all... but rather than driving around with
> exhaust smelling like fast food I've sometimes wondered what sandalwood or
> lilac exhaust would... NAW... that'd just be silly.

Luther   KB5QHU    Alma, Ark
'87 300SDL (272,xxx mi) head case
'85 Ford F250 6.9 diesel (x58,xxx mi)
'82 300CD (166 kmi)
'82 300D  (74 kmi) getting donor engine-sold
'85 300D (280,176) parts car sans engine