Bill:

Interesting your vac pump and mine failed at exactly the same milage.
Sorry to hear your heater stuff ain't working better--mine cleared
right up.

My trans shifts exactly the same now as it did before the pump
replacement, incidently. Not sure whether the shop recalibrated it or
not--they didn't mention doing so.

I have had the trans shift hard after a trans service, but that time
the shop inadvertantly disconnected a vacuum line entirely. Perhaps
the same thing happened to yours.

Good luck!

Dan
82 300SD, now 298k