We arrived in Manhattan (124 mile drive) at 11:00 yesterday. Checked all the
fluids, added some coolant and break fluid. Checked oil bath air filter.
Checked fuel pre-filter. Suspected that emergency brake was seized and took a
look. It wasn't. The rotors were just rusty from sitting for a good spell.
Loose belt: crank, water pump, alternator. Got it a little tighter than it was,
but the teeth are stripped out on the tightening mechanism. Replaced the mini
battery with a real one (proper size), hooked up jumpers from my car too, just
in case there was going to be a lot of cranking. Started right up. :-)

Drove to nearest fuel station, tanked up, aired up the tires (in great
condition) and tried to figure out why so many lights didn't work...rat had
chewed through a nice section of the wiring harness. Replaced some bulbs and
figured we'd be home by dark so we could worry about the wiring later. We had
rear blinkers, anyway...at least on one side.

Got about 5 miles out on 177 and as I followed Charlie he started losing speed:
65, 60, 55, 50, 45, 40...Uh-oh...probably the rust we say in the fuel tank
neck. Indeed. Replaced the pre-filter and went to prime. Primer pump was
TOTALLY broken. Charlie, "let me try to start it." Chris, "You can try, but it
is NOT going to start." Cranks for about 5 seconds and it starts. I'm floored
and we're on our way. Get to Topeka and decide to take a look at things. Car
running, open hood and fuel is squirting in two streams from the primer pump
and the pre-filter is clogged (putting pressure on the primer most likely) AND
the pre-filter is letting little rust particles through. OK. We unscrew the
primer and wrap coolant hose tape around it and screw it down tight. That
solved the fuel leak. Spent an hour looking for both filters and settled on
getting 2 (one spare) wix inline filters that we expected to clog very quickly
- they are not mesh, but look like mini main filters. Then we
 tank up. We figure at 30 mpg, we should only need 2 gallons, the rest squirted
out. It took 3 gallons. :-)

Now it was dark...we needed lights. Pulled the harness together, re-connected
the wires, taped them up, fiddled with bulbs and everything worked, except one
headlight only worked on hi beams...hi beams it was. Got home before 7:00 and
now she's ready for some of the new parts we got at the U-PICK-IT on Saturday.

Very peppy, went about 80 on the KS turnpike, smoke abated, italian tune up in
the flint hills region (needs a diesel purge badly, I suspect). Was a Euro
delivery car.

Fun!

Chris

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-1985 300SD, 368K km, "Wulf"
-1992 350 Ram Wagon, 58K miles, "The Behemoth"
-1975 240D manual, 123K, "Projekt-Wagen 1"