Yeah, the big pad in the center, the collapsable "bowl" underneath, and
the short steering column connected to the steering box just in front
of your feet makes a big difference.  If you have a belt on, you will
hit it square on, smashing the bowl down about six inches while you
only touch the pad and the rim (which won't break off the column since
it bolts onto the bowl).  I cannot imagine an impact that would not
kill you outright from brain stem detachement or aortal tears that
would push the steering box up.

The old Corvair had the steering box right behind the front bumper
(less than six inches in) and a long, straight steering column of solid
steel rod.  Classic death was a minor rear-ender that broke the
driver's neck when the steering wheel shot out of the dash and  hooked
the driver under the chin.

Plain stupid if you ask me, why would you ever put the steering box up
there?  GM did it on everything I know of from the early 50's at least
to the late 70's.

I'm sure you, like I, was very glad to be driving a Benz when you
spotted the idiot about to hit you!

Peter