There are two types of winter tires. Snow tires and winter tires. Snow tires
have a course tread, trap snow in the lugs and the trapped snow contacting the
snow on the ground is what gives you traction. This kind of tire is for the
really snowy regions. Most urban folks don't require these.
The winter tire is one that has a finer tread and sipes to give traction on
hard snoe and ice.
We've used Blizaaks (Jetta and now on two Smarts), X-ice on a 123, Hak 1's with
studs on a 124,  Toyo GO+ on a 123 wagon and on a Toyota Tercel, and Goodyear
Ultragrip Ice on a 123.
My son was on a throughway, cruising at a steady speed, did a 360 and will
never buy X-ice again. We've had excellent service from the Toyo's and the
Goodyear. The Hak's are OK but  nothing exceptional. I would shop for price for
the Toyos or Goodyears.
Oh yeah, somewhere in there, we had Yokohama's on the Jetta. Nothing to write
home about.
By the bye. Do you use a winter tire that is more than 50% worn? If not,
Blizaaks. Undoubtedly the best.
Cheers,
Zenon