I think the rule is 3 ft away for every 1 ft of diagonal picture size;
otherwise, your eyes can pick up pixels.

Just last night I was admiring how this new 32" Vizio LCD I got deals
with analog channels, which look pretty bad on my big projection unit.
I was watching the Everest show on Discovery, and it was letterboxed on
the analog channel (for some reason they do not mirror shows on the HD
channel).  Looked sorta OK, then I zoomed it using one of the features
the set has, for the letterboxed pic to fill the screen.  It looked
pretty good -- I was quite amazed.  Perhaps it has a good rendering
engine in it or something, but I was impressed.  It was a bit blurry,
but that is just the signal, but not as bad as I figured it would be,
and the colors were quite good.

--R