That is true, samsung makes the LCD.  Sony though has a better
controller and much better software in their TV.  I would suspect
that samsung sell sony the better screens for a price (fewer defects
screen) and sony takes extra care in synching and playing with signal
delivery quality.  There are compromises made in each set, but the
sony has a higher tolerance, so better quality out the door.

at least from my persective