Chris Lane wrote:
> I'm not clear on
> if the tips of the plugs themselves get covered with carbon and then
> don't come out of the hole, or if the carbon just causes the plug to
> not operate as well as it should.

Two problems can hit you.
#1 The plug gets carboned up and you can't remove it easily, or
you remove the threaded part and the tip stays in the prechamber.
Bad, very bad.

#2 The prechamber gets carboned up from running with a dead
plug and the car still doesn't run right after you replace the
plug. The solution is glow plug hole reamer. If you don't have
the reamer, you can hammer an old plug flat, as long as you don't
make it so wide that it won't go in the hole.

> Then what is the best way to stop the fuel when I am blowing the crap
> out of the glow plug hole?  Just disconnect the fuel filter?

All that will accomplish is losing your prime as the fuel in the
pump gets run into the engine without the IP getting refilled
as it goes. If you really don't want a tiny bit of idle fueling
while you crank the engine over 3-4 revolutions, have somebody
hold down the engine stop lever on the injection pump while
you crank.

Mitch.