From: "Allan Streib" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: 12/2/07 8:31 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Winter Weather

No they are set cold.  As in, bring the car into the garage the night
before, and do the adjustment the next day.  Just the heat from
starting and bringing it in will give you a less than optimal
adjustment.

I never understood how the dealers could do it -- did you leave the
car overnight and they pulled the valve adjustment jobs into the bay
at closing time, or did they just adjust them warm? (I know what my
guess is).

Allan

On Dec 2, 2007, at 9:15 PM, EDWARD DENNIS wrote:

> Hi,
>   Not a spec for hot or cold?
>   Ed
>
> John Freer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   Ed,
> be sure the valve adjustment is done on a cold engine.
>
> John
>
> On 12/2/07, EDWARD DENNIS wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> 43 F and the 300sd started and spins fast enough to need a valve
>> adjustment; I'll Bet!
>> Ben will do it for $110,00 on Tuesday. Ben said he normally
>> charges $150.00.
>> I can change the front brake pads while he does his thing. Basic
>> training in MB 617 valve train for me. The cost of heat and
>> education!
>>
>> Dry day with 45 F clouds.
>> Almost finished with the Christmas lights. (the wife is Italian 2
>> gen.)
>> Will update later in the week.
>> Ed in Chicago
>> LarryT wrote:
>> Howdy --
>> For diesels, I'm convinced "Mobil 1 Truck & Diesel Oil" in 5W40 is
>> the
>> way to go - it starts easily in cold weather and seems to provide
>> proper
>> protection. I ran regular M1 15W50 until discovering this oil
>> (thanks to
>> Werner Fehlauer).
>>
>> Larry T (67 MGB, 74 911, 78 240D, 91 300D)
>> www.youroil.net for Oil Analysis and Weber Parts
>> Test Results http://members.rennlist.com/oil
>> PORSCHE POSTERS! youroil.net
>> Weber Carb Info http://members.rennlist.com/webercarbs
>> .

>>> insane. I believe I'm allowed to run dino 5W30 in the 190E if the
>>> temp