>I changed the oil in a '77 Super Beetle the other day.  The car has
> 5,196 documented miles on it, and the oil was last changed at a VW
> dealer 1000 miles ago in 1988.  It had been changed twice before that
> and the car sat for 15 years until recently.
>
> Imagine my surprise to find the oil screen and its cover plate covered
> in thick, thick sludge.  I can't imagine non-detergent oils were used as
> recently as '77; were they?  I guess the "stuff" fell out of solution
> during its slumber.  Does that sound like something that would actually
> happen?
> Tom
I used Delo oil for years; both in VW Beetles and in MBs.  If Delo was
bought on sale and kept on the shelf for a period of months, it would have a
layer of additives that had come out of solution covering the bottom of the
jug.  Shaking the jug would re-suspend or redissolve the additives and it
didn't seem to cause any problems with the cars.

I never noticed that the original RPM Delo had that problem.
Gerry