"Copper crush washers."  Intriguing. No savvy. Please educate me.

I have seen wave washers, which are sometimes called metric lock
washers, althought split lock washers in metric sizes are available.

I have seen copper and aluminum sealing washers, used at bolted
joints that need to hold water or oil, on oil drain plugs, and at
sensors that screw into water or oil.

I have seen representations of double Bellville spring washers (facing
each other) in the Benzes literature, but never seen the actual washers.
Presumably there are also single Bellville spring washers.

But a "crush washer."  What's that?  I can only think of a crush sleeve
as used in some pinion bearing setups.  I'd like to know.

Also, why not save a ton of time and buy it from the dealer who sells
that kind of car?  Can the time spent on a search that may not pan
out possibly be balanced by the presumed cost saving associated
with avoiding the dealer's parts bins?

Or is this abou the satisfaction of being able to say "I did it myself."
much like the little red hen?  Just curious on that.
Thu, 27 Dec 2007 10:07:57 -0500
Allan Streib <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, wrote
Subject: [MBZ] seeking source for copper crush washers

Not directly MB related, but I am looking for a source to buy M14 and
M16 sized copper crush washers. These are specifically for
reconnecting power steering fittings on another vehicle.

I found one site that list them, but they do not take web orders for
less than $25.

http://www.xs-engineering.com/xsstore/pc/viewCat_m.asp?idCategory=192

Tried a few local auto parts stores with no luck. Have not tried NAPA
yet or the dealer but if those fail anyone else know of anyplace I can
source these?

Allan
--
1983 300D