I am no welder, so know that up front.

> What's the advantage of a TIG welder over a MIG welder?  The prices on
> TIG
> welders are quite a bit more than MIG welders.  I've been told that
> it's
> easier to weld aluminum with a TIG, and that a TIG is better when
> welding
> different metals together.

I think that might be better worded "welding a variety of different
metals".  Yes, in that case.

> My only experience is with stick and acetylene welding.  Haven't quite
> figured out why MIGs are so popular.  Easier to weld sheet metal?
> Constant
> welding without stopping to change sticks?  Less power needed?

Yes.

> I have some rust repair to do on the SLC - and used to be pretty good
> at patching up rusted sheet metal with oxy-acetylene. Is MIG better
> for welding under cars, igniting less undercoating, etc.???

The heat is much more concentrated and localized.  The nickname
for MIG is "glue gun".  And so it is, when welding under optimal
conditions.

My take is that TIG is the new-and-improved version of gas welding,
and that MIG is the new-and-improved stick welder, and that both
_are_ considerable improvements.  Not that either can completely
replace their predecessors, the well-rounded welding dilettante
will have all of the equipment, of course.  I still don't have
a TIG setup, but occasionally I wish I did.  But I will want one
that has excellent small-piece capabilities.  (For example,
Frankensteining a new end on a fried switch contact.  I'd like
to be able to do that if required.)

If _all_ you could have was one, gas is the most flexible.  Besides
welding, there's cutting, brazing, heavy soldering, heating, bending.
But there's a lot of waste heat to deal with.

MIG is nice for sheet metal, and regular joining.  But stick can
have more power, and has a considerably better selection of more
exotic filler material, such as hard-facing, etc.  It's probably
also the cheapest method, especially if you score rod at yard
and clearance sales.  You can also use it to thaw metal pipes.
MIG can do aluminum, but really requires additional special
equipment.  (Spool gun and argon tank.)

MIG (or TIG) was required to fix the rust hole in the trunk
channel on that 380SL.  Stick would have been too crude, unless
perhaps in the hands of a real artist.  Gas has too much waste
heat, no way I could have done it without ruining the nearby
paint that shows.

IMHO, you will really eventually need them all.  But I _am_ a
tool junkie.  (OK, I don't know why one would need a carbon
arc kit for the stick welder, given the presence of gas.  So
naturally I have a cheap and nasty one, it came with the house!)

-- Jim