I think my aunt who has been a pro photographer for about 25 years is
fixing to quit the business because everyone wants digital now and she
refused to do it, because its not as good.

Peter Frederick wrote:
> Fidelity = true to source.  Not today!
>
> Vacuum tube amps always sound much better than transistor amps, as they
> don't clip (covert too high an amplitude sine wave to a flat topped
> wave, with extra harmonics).  Takes an enormous capacity transistor to
> not clip, and tubes never do.  Other than the background hiss of
> electrons flying an inch or so, they are much nicer.  Some problems
> with exact reproduction due to internal hysteresis, but that's present
> in transistor amps, too.
>
> Given that MP3 compressions are rather extreme (and everyone has crappy
> amplifiers in their iPods and etc turned up way beyond ear damage level
> --why anyone MAKES an amplifier that puts out more than 80 dB in those
> things is beyond me), the norm now is really bad reproduction, mostly
> of really poor musical quality stuff to start with (a stick on a
> plastic trash can over one's head, sort of).  No one remembers what
> real sound was, nothing is live anymore (rock concerts are mostly tape,
> I believe), and most listeners have hearing damage, there is no hope.
>
> It's been going downhill for a long time, every since orchestral music
> was no longer recorded with a pair of mikes in the auditorium and was
> instead "mixed" from one stuffed up each instrument.  Digitization has
> markedly degraded things since, as it's way too easy to fiddle it
> later.
>
> I'm all for live and recordings ON TAPE IN ANALOG with unchanged
> reproduction.  Not a chance in the bad place, I guess.
>
> Ditto for photography, by the way -- digital is easier, but I'm
> unconvinced that it's better.
>
> Just the old curmudgeon here.
>
> Peter

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
  94 E420, 92 300SD, 92 300D, 92 250D Turbo, 92 300E 4Matic,
  91 300D, 90 420SEL, 89 560SEL, 89 260E, 87 300SDL, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro,
  84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 81 240D, 81 380SLC, 80 240D, 76 240D,
  76 300D, 72 250C, 69 250