Alex wrote:

"Marshall always said that 30 mpg was at the high end of what you could
get with a 603 car, and required steady 60-mph highway driving.  Peter's
the only person I have ever heard report getting over 30 mpg
consistently."

I concur.  I had three different 123 300D's.  I usually got 22-26 mpg.
My in town was worse.  I remember getting 16-17 mpg in town on my last.
But, that car had over 400,000 miles on it, I am sure it needed top end
work and I drove it hard ALL of the time. I had to.  It was a dog. I
think it was worn out.  It had over 475,000 miles when I sold it.  The
timing chain was replaced before I got it with slightly more than
200,000 miles on it.  Who knows how much chin stretch their was. I would
guess that would effect mileage negatively.

The best fuel miser of all of my MB's was the 1990 2.5.  That was/is a
great car.

I also got over 40 mpg in my old Honda Civic hatchback 5 speed.

My old 1990 Oldsmobile 88 would also get 34 mpg on the highway if it was
ALL highway and I didn't drive 75 0r 80.

Donald H. Snook