Happy New Year from the Colonies

While holidaying over New Year, I discovered a weary-looking 1981 240TD
4-spd manual parked off the drive in a neighbouring property. After
running its owner to ground, I learned that he was about to send it to
the crusher. It's done only 400K mi but has not been well maintained.
Blows a bit of smoke and the paintwork is pretty dire (as well as being
faded, it's a hideous canary yellow). No rust as far as I could see.

Given that W123 wagons are relatively rare in New Zealand, it grieves me
to see anything with salvageable parts go to the crusher. So I made
encouraging noises to the owner about buying it from him, for parts.

Question is though, are body panels, lights, seats, windows, doors,
exhaust system etc (i.e., anything other than engine and drive-train)
interchangeable with my 1985 300TD?

Given that SWMBO will not look fondly upon any such acquisition,
hell-bent as she is to dispose of the 300TD, I'd have to be sure that my
arguments were sound

Thanks for your advice

Euan

CHCH