I was hopeful about Graingers, but their nearest outlet is 50 miles
away.  Went to their web site and found the motor but in the process
of checking out I found out that they don't want to do consumer sales
either.  So I'd have to fake being a business, which would almost
certainly work but I don't like having to lie just to buy a motor.
What's the big deal about not selling to DIY folks?  Do they not want
to piss off the tradespeople?

Then I found Electric Motor Warehouse
(www.electricmotorwarehouse.com) who had no quibble about selling
directly to me and had the exact A.O. Smith blower motor that I
pulled out of the the furnace. Their price was a few bucks more than
Grainger but they include a new capacitor which pretty much accounts
for the difference.  I also got a new mounting bracket and rubber
bushings because the old bushings looked tired.

 From what I've read (a day too late of course), it sounds like
probably the capacitor was bad.  Putting in a whole new motor is
expensive insurance but I've already got the old one out, and I'd
rather not tear into that furnace again anytime soon I swear every
piece of sheet metal has been sharpened to a razor edge.  Also the
motor was getting really hot to the touch in just a few minutes, and
had probably been doing that for up to a week (MIL was out of town
and returned to a cold house) so who knows what all has had the life
cooked out of it.

Allan