OK - it's hard for me to beleive as well. Here's what I did -- new
Kuhmo tires - the "right "size, aired up to 2Lb. over spec., drove the
speed limit (shocking - but I did it this time), and used the GPS for
an odometer, since the one in the car doesn't work. Maybe the GPS
isn't right? Streets and Trips shows 914 miles for the trip, the GPS
recorded 455 miles for the first half of it, including finding out
that our exit was closed, and getting lost trying to find the motel.
The extra 97 miles were local exploring and a trip to work when we got
back before filling it the last time. So, the GPS distance seems
reasonable.
The previous trip where I measured mileage resulted in 33 mpg - that
was to Albuquerque with 3 and bags instead of 2 on this trip.

On Jan 8, 2008 8:11 AM, Mitch Haley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> OK Don wrote:
> >
> > Yup. I saw 37 mpg at the first fuel stop, and figured I hadn't filled
> > the tank, but it kept it the whole trip.
>
> There's a fellow on Mercedesshop who put a 5sp OD in a 190 turbo. He
> got 39mpg on an extended trip at 75-80. I read things on the net like
> this that give me the impression the W124 might have less aero drag
> than the W201. The overdrive and lack of torque converter should have
> gotten the 190D owner more than 2 mpg. (unless Don's tires are undersized
> and his ODO reads high)
>
> Mitch.

OK Don, KD5NRO
Norman, OK
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics."
-Benjamin Disraeli and/or Mark Twain
'90 300D, '87 300SDL, '81 240D, '78 450SLC, '97 Ply Grand Voyager