Alex,

That has happened on my 300D as well as two GM vans.
One a 6.2 the other a 6.5. It has only happened after
they had been standing for a couple of weeks and I
think only if it had been raining or had a very high
humidity during that time.

I believe it happens because the moisture has seeped
into the carbon collected in the tail pipe and
loosened it. Then when you accelerate the higher
velocity of the exhaust gases at the higher RPM before
the transmission shifts knocks the carbon loose and
blows it out in a black cloud. If you tend to
accelerate hard all the time it seems to lessen the
amount of carbon blowout after standing. Conversely if
you drive the car very easily and don't let the rpm
build up a lot then the deposits seem to get worse and
cause a lot more carbon blowout the next time the car
sits for a time or even if you suddenly decide to
accelerate hard some time you may have more carbon
blowout then you would otherwise. It doesn't mean that
the car is suddenly using more fuel.

At least that is what I have surmised from the
observations in about 15 years of driving diesels.

Manfred

ate: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:32:31 -0800