From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Loren Faeth
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:37 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 300 sdl questions

I have only owned 14 heads with over 200K to over 400k miles, all
with no problems.  As Marshall said, "if they were going to fail,
they would have failed by now."   I will happily buy any 14 head car
that everybody else wants to pass up, as long as it has not been
overheated in the last 10-20 k miles.

Alex said "OT third H, a 603 car with a known good head; accelerator
and transmission
linkages adjusted by the book; ALDA set properly; the vacuum system sorted
out; and good shocks, springs, and suspension rubber is an engineering
masterpiece that stacks up to just about any car, new or old."

My opinion is that a 300SDL is the BEST car ever made.  Again
assuming the engine, trans and suspension is good.  buy one that has
a history with it, if you can.  They are out there.

All along my recent very tiring trip to FL and back, I was wishing I
could have driven a 300SDL for the trip, or at least any 126  They
are all wonderful cars.

Loren

At 02:07 PM 1/15/2008, you wrote:
>On Jan 15, 2008 11:58 AM, John Robbins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >  The "bad" OM603 head casting is #14.  If it
> > hasn't cracked yet it mostly likely won't unless it gets overheated.
> >

>I had a #17 head crack without any warning or provocation.  I believe that
>all 603 heads < #21 are guilty until proven innocent and should be watched
>VERY carefully (and the prices of cars so equipped reduced accordingly).
>
>OTOH, Marshall always maintained (and surely with good data to back him up)
>that not all #14 heads were flawed, and that with proper attention to the
>cooling system were not something to worry about.
>
>OT third H, a 603 car with a known good head; accelerator and transmission
>linkages adjusted by the book; ALDA set properly; the vacuum system sorted
>out; and good shocks, springs, and suspension rubber is an engineering
>masterpiece that stacks up to just about any car, new or old.
>
>Alex Chamberlain
>'87 300D Turbo et al.

Loren Faeth