When I was a kid, maybe 14 or so, 1968, I was with my parents driving
through Indianapolis and stopped at some restaurant.  As we pulled in,
this purple Caddy, an Eldo I think, parked next to us and this large
sharp-dressed black man and a VERY nice looking woman (even then I had
the eye!), who apparently was not his wife at the time, get out of the
Caddy, my dad says, "That's Cassius Clay!"  (Not sure if he was MA at
that time, but even so my unreconstructed dad would have called him
CC.)  Anyway, they go in and get a table kinda next to us, and everybody
was looking and whispering.  Not sure what shocked them most, that it
was him or a black man and woman in the restaurant (somewhat unusual at
that time, still) but NO ONE was going to argue with him!  They finished
about the time we did, paid, got up and left, and he said hello to
people as he walked out.  He was very quiet and polite, no bluster at
all like you saw in the ring.  I was quite impressed, I think I said
hello to him at one point and he helloed back or nodded or something.

--R