Well, what happened was I had an old "cracked" version of xp installed,
but got a legal corporate copy from my brother who is in the computer
business and did the upgrade option to install it so I could use windows
  update.  Before, with the old copy, it would say I did not have a
genuine copy.  Now it works fine but will not install them once
downloaded.  will check out your link.

Rick Knoble wrote:
>> speaking of windows update, I have 2 different computers that I do the
>> windows update, it downloads them but wont install any of the updates.
>> AFter it goes thru its deal, says update failed.  Anybody got a clue
>> about that?
>
> If you repaired the copies of Windows XP from the Windows disk, there are
> DLL's that need to be re-registered. Here is the fix that I used when I had
> that very same problem on my kids computer.
>
> http://windowssecrets.com/2007/09/27/03-Stealth-Windows-update-prevents-XP-repair
>
> Rick Knoble
> '85 300 CD
> '87 190 DT

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
  94 E420, 92 300SD, 92 300D, 92 250D Turbo, 92 300E 4Matic,
  91 300D, 90 420SEL, 89 560SEL, 89 260E, 87 300SDL, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro,
  84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 81 240D, 81 380SLC, 80 240D, 76 240D,
  76 300D, 72 250C, 69 250