Rule of thumb I use, anything that's rubber on a car is most likely designed
to move.  Once the rubber becomes hard, it can't move.  It will try to move,
but will fail as it's most likely the weak link.  When rubber bits start to
feel a little hard, or haven't been changed in awhile, best to just change
them and then you know you're in good shape.

Ed
300E