Larry -

ADD/ADHD is very real though, yes, it is quite often misdiagnosed. Also, it
definitely is not just a kid thing. Your best bet is a psychiatrist who
specializes in ADD/ADHD. There is a very good series of books by MDs Edward
Hallowell & John Ratey on the subject that will likely answer most anyone's
questions. I would start with their book "Driven to Distraction". If you
think that you, or someone that you care about, may have this malady, then
read the book or have them read it. If you do truly have it, as I do, then
reading the book can make a very positive change in how you view yourself
and those that must interface with you. It may also help save your marriage
as those of us that are affected by this can sometimes unintentionally be
slowly driving our spouses a little nuts. Spouses should definitely read the
book. That is a MUST so they have some understanding of what to expect and
how to deal with it. Another good place to get answers to questions can be
your local chapter of CHADD. As far as how long it takes for the diagnosis.
I went to a lunch hour talk that some CHADD folks put on at work and after
listening to what some of those folks were saying I went away saying to
myself "hey, that's me, they're describing me!" I was smart enough to follow
up and take a battery of tests that took a few hours and then a couple of
sessions with a shrink to discuss the results and things that I could do to
help me better cope with the challenges one must face daily. My advice to
anyone that thinks that they, or someone they care about, may have this is
to at least read the book and educate yourself enough to decide if there is
really something there. The worst thing think you can do is to sweep it
under the rug, if it is truly there, because just knowing why you are the
way you are can change your life for the better. Doing it early on can
possibly prevent a lot of damage to the affected person's psyche and yes
there invariably will be increasing damage over the span of time. If any one
out there wants to talk about this more you are welcome to ask me and I will
answer to the extent of my limited knowledge. I am not a shrink, nor do I
play one on TV.  :^) Possibly this would be better off list unless there is
some general list interest.

Barry

Just curious, who typically diagnoses a child as ADD/ADHD/PMS/SEL/Whatever?
;-)
How long does it take and what is the process?

Larry