> Because frequency and waveform are a function of
> generator speed, you would (theoretically) have to
> slow down the generator considerably to get 60Hz out
> of it.  Couple this with having to slow down the

Yep.

> engine, and you're running so far down the torque and
> horsepower curve that it's horribly inefficient.  And

I don't care if it's particularly inefficient, only
that it functions and draws less fuel than at full
speed.  The idea is to tide the house over during
the night, just running a couple of fireplace fans
and a light or two.  The sort of junk you'd consider
running off batteries overnight if you could stomach
that sort of thing.  If I'm at 1/10 the load and
using only 1/2 the fuel, that's still probably OK.

> that's if the regulating system would tolerate it as
> well.  If it's inherently (self) regulated, it won't
> work.  You need the speed to create a large enough
> magnetic field in the windings to saturate the fields.

The MD-3 has an external active VR.

It's just a thought, the Lister is pretty efficient
even running at full speed.

-- Jim