On Feb 7, 2008 10:46 AM, Ed Booher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> (Note I'm not saying it can't be done on Windows, but I know from exp. that
> it takes a heck of a lot more work to get it happening than it should on
> modern hardware with a modern OS, and UNIX was built in the 70's.)

And the end product is, in my observation, slower and clunkier than it
should be, too.

I really detest the fact that every large organization I have to deal
with these days seems to run Windows Terminal Server.  I lost 20
minutes of my life yesterday at a hospital, for example, waiting for a
nurse to update my girlfriend's patient records through a clumsy
point-and-click database interface running on some kind of diskless
thin client equipment.  I could see, reflected in her glasses, how
slow the screen was redrawing every time she clicked to go to another
window.

It doesn't have to be this way, but it's going to get a lot worse
before it gets any better.  These kind of systems are only going to be
installed in more and more places from now on.  People think
computerized interfaces to cars like Mercedes' Comand and BMW's iDrive
are bad now---just wait until they're all built on Microsoft embedded
OSs.

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo et al.