Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:08:40 -0600
From: Rich Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] CHevy 305/350 WAS- High mileage badges
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

I had a 350 with TBI in my 87 4x4 Blazer with 4spd 700R4, it was OK,
kinda agricultural but solid and you can get parts at the 7-11.  When
that started burning oil I had an old guy (in his 80s now, complaining
but still doing engine work, built AJFoyt's first race engine back
 when)
build me up a 350 -- he put on Vortec heads (they flow better,
 aluminum)
and an Edelbrock intake, ZZ4 cam and some other stuff, but we used the
TBI on it.  It never did run right -- I think the cam/heads are not
 well
matched to what the old TBI computer can do.  I found a laptop program
and made up a cable to watch the computer, it looked like everything
 was
fine but it runs rich.  Wouldn't pass emissions (at the legit places)
 so
I sorta retired it.  I still have that truck, been trying to sell it
 but
body is rusted and no one will pay for the engine/drivetrain which is
quite solid, so I might strip it down, keep the good bits, and scrap
 the
rest.  It would run well with a 4bbl or a newer FI set up, but the 4bbl

won't pass inspection and a new FI is pricey.  Before I had him do
 mine,
I drove a truck he had just built/put a 350 in, that thing about scared

the scheiss out of me.  I punched it going about 60, tranny downshifted

and the rear tires screeched and let go, I backed off then and said
"good enough for me."

I have my dad's 96 Chevy truck now, with the 305.  He got the smaller
engine when he bought it thinking it would be easier on gas, but there
is really no difference between it, my old Blazer, and the 2000 Burb
with the 5.3.  The 305 is same as 350 with just different stroke I
 think.

--R