I know the customer pays for shipping - hell, the customer pays for
*everything* - but to think it costs the vendor nothing is incorrect.  If
the S&H were a line item like everything else it would be easier to define
and control - whenever a vendor offers "Free" shipping, it's true to say the
customer pays, but the vendor also must "pay" a part.  Actually to say the
vendor pays is not accurate - actually it comes from his profit area.  Also,
with the internet it's possible to check prices cross a wide range of
vendors - even though the parts are nopt comparable - so you might get a
quote on a widget amplifier for $200 from Rusty and another quote for the
same part name for $75.  But you have no way of knowing that Rustys parts
are made in Germany (likely by a Turk working on a production line ;-) and
the other vendor is buying his parts from China made by who knows.  So,
while it looks like you are doing comparison shopping you are only going
half way.  There's no way of knowing the true quality until the parts is
installed and works or doesn't work. If it works, fine - at least for a
while, if not, I would bet Rusty is easier to deal with that some other
people - especially eBayers who disappear frequently.

So, while it says Free Shipping it is built into the price - which the
customer pays but the vendor *has* to make money or he won't be around very
long.  Hopefully, the pricing is something like this - cost of part - $60,
overhead (advertising, office space, phone, etc) $10, free shipping $5,
profit $25 - total $100.  If the S&H increases as it does frequently the
shipping cost might go to $10 and profit will go down to $20.  Total price
stays the same.  Same thing happens when the rent or insurance goes up -
profit goes down or price goes up.  And with those websites featuring
Chinese & other parts offering split second pricing, it can be difficult for
Rusty to raise his price everytime UPS raises theirs - also, Rusty matches
other internet prices putting more pressure on him to keep prices down.

Basic business stuff.  If any of you ever want to open or run your own
business you need to understand the basics.  Otherwise the doors close
pretty fast.

Take care --

Larry T (66 MGB, 74 911, 78 240D, 91 300D)
PORSCHE POSTERS!  youroil.net
.