Sounds like you got a lemon. Sold both my 2000 Jetta TDI and 2004 Golf
TDI after a couple of years of ownership and no maintenance hassle for
just slightly below what I paid for them new (exempting taxes).

With my new 2000 Jetta, all maintenance was covered under the warranty.
With the 2004 Golf, they charged (too much) for oil changes. Now that
I'm not so busy with work, I'd do those myself. Fortunately, just as
there are for M-Bs, third party Internet suppliers for VW really save
you a bundle.

I spend way more time on the 300SDs fiddling with them. The latest is
the heater hose that the dealer wants $125 for. Fortunately the
suppliers everyone on this list knows about has it for a small fraction
of that. Going to have to remove some electronics on the '85 to get at
that. The air condition compressor on the 83 is squealing. That's not
going to be a lot of fun. Going to have to upgrade the AC to the newer
environmental standards.

Thanks to all for the interaction. Really helped clarify my next steps.
Given the rising cost of fuel and the thousands of miles we put on in a
month, a car that gets twice the fuel mileage and saves a thousand or
more dollars a year is the way I have to go.

Anyone interested in purchasing two west coast solid body 300SDs, one an
83 with a rebuilt engine and the other an 85 (w/ABS brakes)? The next
question is what should I ask for them?

Martin