I lived in Ireland during a very turbulent time, and it's amazing what small
differences people are willing to kill each other over.  My feeling towards
hyphenating a name is that  the effort could be better spent elsewhere.  All
it does is divide ppl into subgroups, which isn't really the stuff of good
nation building.  I remember 30 years ago, many of us would look to the US
and be amazed how regardless of colour or faith, everyone called themselves
"Americans".  What amazes me, is most who hyphenate there name have never
stepped foot in the country they hyphenate along with American.  Given the
chance, I think many would soon see they have very little, if any common
connection to those countries now.  What makes America great is how it takes
ppl from different countries and allows them to live and mix together.  In
that sense, they all become what is uniquely "American".  I still feel being
an American, is being part of something special enough that the title
doesn't need to be embellished with anything else.

Ed
300E