Yes Gerry, one of my Great Grandfathers was an engineer, (driving them), and
my other Great Grandfather was a mechanical engineer, he (designed them).
Ed

Fascinating!  Was that the really big engines with many driving wheels for
climbing the mountains?  I've seen pictures of engines with two sets of
steam cylinders which were used for that purpose out west.  Would be
interesting to see pictures of the 6000 if you can send them.
Gerry

P.S. Attached picture (if it comes through) is the type engine used on the
Louisville, Ky / St.Louis,Ill run during the early 20th century.  I remember
only the bigger engines as a child during the 1930s.  Father was crewman
with uniform.
He was part of the team that designed the 6000 steam engines, used by Grand
Trunk and Canadian National.  I still have the original factory pics as they
rolled off the line.
Ed
300E

On 16/02/2008, archer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Did someone in your family work on the railroad?
> Gerry

deal as antiques.  The case was gold plated and the movement was 21 jewel
IIRC.