Starting fresh rather than responding to some of the earlier posts again.

I do feel guilty about polluting the environment etc and down deep I'm a frugal
person so I would like to reduce
the amount of fuel I use for vehicles and home etc. I also recycle everything
that I can through the blue box and
freecycle etc.

However, I'm getting old and therefore a bit set in my ways and don't want to
ride the bus etc. I like the freedom
that a car brings to me. I drive to work even though I am close enough to walk
because I can run errands during the
day if I need to and can go home for lunch etc. I also live in a harsh climate
area where it is very often real
cold or real warm or raining or . . .  and the car protects me from most of
that.

I have moved my office closer to home 4 or 5 times in the period since 1988 and
am now almost within sight of my
house. There is a hospital accross the street and down a block that blocks my
view or I would be able to see the
house from my colleague's office at the front of our offices. It would be a
mile to two accross a field at the
University to the house. My wife works at the University so she is close to
home too.

I think about selling my house and building a new one that would be super
insulated, and at least somewhat passive
solar and have enough land to permit me to install a ground source heat pump so
that I could heat it for next to
nothing and use no fossil fuel.

I think about retrofitting my existing house with additonal outside walls and
insulation to accomplish the
superinsulation of what we have so that we could reduce heating costs and
thereby use less natural gas. I think
about changing my furnace to a newer one but am unsure of what direction we
should take with that and have
therefore waited a bit.

I think about swapping my F150 for a diesel powered pickup in the hopes of
improving the fuel economy.

I think about getting a Honda Civic and driving it around town in the winter so
that I wouldn't be using the pickup
for the short runs around town.

I think about swapping our old 2 stroke outboard motors for newer 4 stroke
motors to reduce the amount of fuel used
and reduce the amount of fuel dumped inot the water when we run the boats. I
think about the possibility of an
electric boat that would be quiet and not use fuel.

However, any of these would cost and arm and a leg and cannot be justified from
an economic standpoint. It also may
be a bit early in some cases as technology is ever changing and I think will
change even faster if the global
warming thing proves to be a real threat.

I don't really want to move and my wife would object so building a new house
will be difficult to accomplish. We
are heading toward retirement ages and my sons will soon be gone from home. A
larger lot would likely mean moving
out of the city and that carries other problems like good water and sewer and
increased commuting costs etc. More
land would be needed for the ground source setup to work unless we want to
drill deep and that has other issues
too. We would need a site with a southerly exposure.

Superinsulating the existing house is do-able but would change its character
somewhat and might cost more than it
would return for a long time. The house is only 1800 square feet and was built
in 1981 and added onto in 1987 so it
is reasonably tight and has 2X6 walls etc already. Adding inside would be messy
and we would lose space. Adding
outside means reduced roof overhangs and sunken windows etc unless one makes
major changes to the roof and moves
the windows etc.

I don't think I can go diesel in the pickup unless I go to an F250 and I don't
really need a heavier beast. We also
have an F150 with the V6 and a manual 5 speed and the fuel economy on it is
very little different than the
Supercrew with the 5.4.

I could get a small car to run around in but that is what I use the 300D for
from about April through October so my
gain would be fairly minimal and I would have another vehicle to maintain and
insure. I wish the insurance people
would let me have a set of plates that could be swapped car to car so I wasn't
insuring a bunch of them.

I don't use the boats much. The bigger one wasn't in the water at all last
summer and the smaller one was only used
on the July long weekend by my son and his friends so probably 20 gallons of
gas used in the boats for the whole
summer. Not likely to save the world by reducing that to 10 gallons usage per
summer.

So, I sort of feel like the Al Gore's of the world are pointing fingers at me
and saying that I should do my bit to
fix the world by changing my ways but that they are not being able to tell me
how I should proceed. I hate those
silly compact flourescent lightbulbs. They don't make enough light and they
don't fit well in most of my existing
light fixtures. I'm not going to switch to public transit because it wouldn't
work very well where I live and work.
I'm not going to switch to a SMART car because I don't like them and they are
not versitile enough. I need
something that can launch the boats, haul sheets of plywood and 4 or 5 people
when the need arises.

I could carry on for pages but you get my drift. I'm a middle aged overweight
middle class white collar guy who
likes cars, boats, and his house and I don't think that the fact that the world
is going to you know where in a
handbasket is my fault. Most of the significant things that I could do would
cost me a lot of money and might have
debatable benefits so here I sit doing not much different but wondering what I
could or should do.

Randy