Last weekend while I was driving in our 1979 240D I was hit from behind by
someone trying to make it through a signal that was turning red. The
collision wasn't all that bad. The offending vehicle was a 2002 Escalade and
it pushed in the trunk sheet metal to the right of the license plate and it
knocked the right rear taillight out of it's mounting (and cracked the lens
in a few places) and scuffed up the bumper cover a bit.

I noticed since then a rapping that had been happening got a lot louder.
Today it might have eaten the engine. Could this be related to the
collision? I'm disinclined to believe such a correlation, but figured I'd
throw it out there for anyone watching the snow pile up outside.

Something in the engine seemed to snap and I lost a lot of power. I was in a
bad location and decided to try to limp along a bit to get to a better spot.
Went about a mile and the engine just lost all power and stopped. I only
tried to crank it briefly and it was turning over pretty slowly. I was
driving in a snow storm and I have to claim complete idiocy because during
that last mile I don't think I glanced at the oil pressure once.

...Kevin

1979 240D RIP?
1987 300TD