andrew strasfogel wrote:

> Lincoln??  I must be missing something.
http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v07/v07p319_Dickson.html

WHOA! Did you actually read that?

That may be one of the least disguised racist articles I have ever read about
Lincoln.

Here are a few quotes from the article.

"The fact that Lincoln was willing to go that far (opposing slavery) early in
his career indicates that he was committed to Negro equality at the inception
of his career and was on the far left of contemporary American thought about
the Negro and slavery issues."

The author indicates that being opposed to slavery was a radical and despicable
idea.  If you don't believe me read the next line:

"Americans are prone to read or hear the House Divided Speech with a tingling
of the spine, impressed by its dramatic tone. Set in the context of developing
regional antagonism, however, the speech seems to be that of an irresponsible
demagogue. The Union had existed half slave and half free from its inception.
There appears to be no logical reason why it could not have continued to have
existed in that fashion."

WOW!  I can't believe anyone would put that in writing.  Lincoln should not
have opposed the South's use of slaves?  Is that really the message of this
article? The author suggests that he could have just left it alone. The south
gets slaves and the north doesn't - we can all be one big happy family.

AND here is a very interesting take on Lincoln.  He was a crazy liberal who did
too much to move the country to the LEFT.

"He properly ought to be considered as a major liberal force, as someone who
moved the country toward the left and toward the situation which exists today."

THEN, the author criticizes Lincoln because he WON THE CIVIL WAR.

 "He successfully defeated the South. The labors of the South for its freedom
were all in vain. Seventy-five percent of the white male population of military
age served in the Southern armies but could not overcome the disparity in
numbers of the North's mercenaries."

If you still don't believe that this author is a NUT JOB, read the next quote:
Remember, he is critical of Lincoln and these are the reasons why Lincoln is a
terrible president and terrible leader.

  "The cherished dream of Southern independence was not to be."

The CHERISHED Dream of the SOUTH?  What dream is that ?  The dream to keep
slaves? The dream to be an independent country without the North.

Rather than convincing me that Lincoln was a bad president, this article has
convinced me that Lincoln must have had guts of steel.  If it were me and
people like this guy wanted to form another country, I might have said - okay -
I probably would have shown him the door and paid his way.

I think this is the opposite of how most critics of Lincoln view him. That he
was too far right. He was too autocratic and took too much power and took the
country to the RIGHT not the left. His suspension of the writ of habeas corpus
during the war is not a LIBERAL thing to do.

I can understand some criticisms of Lincoln.  But, this article ought to have a
link to the KKK recruitment chapter.

Donald H. Snook

http://www.mtsqh.com/