Smaller countries don't have the highway systems we have & they don't have a
need to drive at high speeds. It's easy for them to get good performance
from a smaller engine. It's all about gear ratios.

Here in the states, we want to accelerate fast around town & then we want to
go 90 MPH down the interstate. And oh, we want to get 30 MPG too.

It's an easy decision - just pick any 2 of the 3 following options.

1) Great city performance
2) Great highway performance
3) Good gas mileage

1+2 = larger engine = poorer economy
1+3 = smaller engine = better economy = terrible highway performance
2+3 = smaller engine = better economy = terrible city performance

Some of the same Mercedes models that are sold here are sold in other
countries with options 1+3. This is why you see the same bodies with smaller
engine options.

Thanks,
Tom Hargrave
www.kegkits.com