R A Bennell wrote:
> OK, responding to about 3 replies here, but I am certain that I remember
> reading somewhere that one ought not to
> really abuse the old MB diesels. I know there is the Italian tuneup idea
> where one works the car hard on an uphill
> grade to burn off the excess carbon but I thought the other view that one
> should not run these old ones flat out
> was attributed to Marshall. I thought I remember his saying that one could
> drive it forever at 60 mph but that 80
> mph was not a good idea. I don't know if that applies to the turbo models but
> my recollection was that it did to
> the normally aspirated engines.

Define "abuse."  I drove the wheels off of my old 300D until I sold it
at 348k miles.  It still ran great and started fine in single digit
temps.  The moron to whom I sold it didn't get it when I explained that
it was an old car and needed the oil checked and refilled regularly.
Two months later it wouldn't start in freezing temps and "that gauge
that goes from zero to three" was broken as the needle had stopped moving.

I drive just as fast in the S420, but doing so rarely requires the
engine to rev above 2500 rpm, which seems a waste.  As long as the
injectors, IP and valve timing, etc are in spec, go use all 77hp.

Tom