I actually replaced the thermostat this evening! (87 190D) It was much
easier than I thought. See, initially I thought it was located at the engine
end of the upper radiator hose. And that looked quite nasty to get at.
I have run straight water through to get most of the green stuff out.

The gauge is reading what the engine should be at!

We'll see if this is a fluke, but once the engine was warmed up, the ticking
that the engine normally does was gone.

Also: is Behr factory equipment? The old thermo. had the MB star and also
Behr on it. For that matter, my radiator is Behr. Does this mean it is a
replacement?

Brian