Same situation I just fixed for an old friend.

His (oold White Westinghouse) dryer... close the door and you could hear the
motor running but when I opened the door, held button and pressed start, the
drum wasn't turning with a load. The belt obviously was worn out.

New belt is about $11.00 and pretty simple to replace. Usually you open
access on rear of a dryer to the drive motor which has an spring loaded
idler pulley. Open top of dryer and remove screws holding the front panel.
The drum usually rides on sleeves (felt and plastic which often wear out
causing failure). Slip the belt around the drum from front and reassemble.
Locate belt around the drum and then around motor drive shaft at the rear.

It's not a bad $11.00 repair which will delay replacing dryer if everything
else is in reasonable condition. Usually if there's a problem with timer or
temp sensor it's not worth the expense of the part for an old dryer.