mak wrote:

> Hi  Is there someway  to  physically check a timing chain for wear.
> i am replacing it with a new one,yet it looks and feels taut with no play in
> the roller area. maybe it was replaced not too long ago.

We used to check motorcycle drive chains for wear by laying them stretched
out flat, measuring them, and then pushing them together and measuring
again. It works better if you degrease them first so that you don't have
oil taking up the slack in the pivots. For a motorcycle chain, 4% is
considered worn out. I would imagine allowable wear for a cam chain is a
lot less than that, perhaps an imperceptible amount when not under tension.
Did you check to see how far behind the crank the cam was before you
took the old chain out?