Joe Knight wrote this back in April.  His approach paid off.

"Finally!  Just heard from the Farmers agent from up in the Redding
area.  She'd just gotten back from the body shop and has authorized
repairs totalling a tad over $7200, supplements to follow.  Anybody
think of anything else I should be asking for beyond direct expenses
and compensation for loss of use?  I think it's probably a little late
to bring a chiropractor into the picture.  ;(

More history, to which there is a bit of a point if you'll bear with
me.  Accident, for which the other driver was clearly responsible,
happened Feb 16.  Took 'em quite a spell to come up with any sort of
admission of liability, which came in the form of an offer to settle
and total the car accompanied by a check for $3800 & change.  While I
was psyching myself up for going toe to toe with them in a legal arena
someone suggested I get the wagon appraised.  So, not alltogether
optimistically, I did a little surfing for auto appraisers and came up
with a website for the Auto Appraisal Group, nationwide outfit, that
for the nominal sum of $25 does a thing called a Value Range
Report/survey/whatever.  So thinking only that this might give me a
clue as to whether it might be worth my while to spend significantly
more for a full blown appraisal, I filled out the online form and
authorized the $25 and a couple of hours later I had by email evidence
that my wagon should appraise somewhere between $9500 & $13500.
Couldn't foresee any problem with passing this little gem on to
Farmers, whose agent had previously suggested I buy my own appraisal,
so I did.  Right away, I got a call from them and suddenly they wanted
to buy an appraisal.  Few days later the appraiser came out and I
supplied her with the comps I'd been collecting and the Value Range
thingy from AAG and let her do her thing.  Next morning came another
call from Farmers informing me they'd decided to fix the wagon after
all when the appraisal came in at $11500.  Today's call pretty much
set that in stone so far as I can tell.

The appraised value was arrived at by averaging the listed prices for
which 3 'comparable' vehicles were being offered.  The nice appraiser
used two of the comps I'd supplied her, after verifying them I later
learned, and another kind of lowball example, no doubt a rustbelt
beater.    Could have been a bit higher but was more than sufficient
to the purpose.  Warmed the cockles of my wee heart that Farmers got
to pay $372 for the appraisal only to find they were going to have to
put out what will no doubt turn out to be more than double their
original settlement offer.

So the moral to this story is to keep in mind the potential power of
an independent appraisal should any of you find yourself in a similar
situation and are sure that your local market will support a much
higher assigned value to your ride than what resulted from an
insurance company's internally generated valuation.  I suppose that
even if you have to spring for the appraisal youself and it turns out
to support your position you should be able to include that in the
costs for which you are due restitution.  Reminds me, I need to
include that $25 in my expenses resulting from this fiasco.  :)

joe"