On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 1:07 AM, Ed Booher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 12:03 AM, Fmiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > That's easy in the Unix world (Linux, BSD, etc.) because there
> > is "su", "sudo", and "fakeroot". Is there something like that in
> > MS Windows? Some way I can install a program without having to
> > log out of my current user and log in as admin?
> >

> You can right click on the executable, and choose "Run as ..." and this
> will open a dialog that asks "Which user account do you want to use to run
> this program?" it defaults to your current user (which should be an LUA) so
> you need to click the radio button to change the option to "The following
> user:" and your User Name needs to be in the format of
> MACHINENAME\Administrator. 99% of the time, this should already be there.

Oh, one more thing I have to point out, the Run As option will not show up
on a file that is not an executable. This includes short cuts. You need to
right click on the actual .EXE or .MSI. Again, you can write a batch with
runas and it's CLI parameters and then link a shortcut to that if you like.

It does require a little extra work to set it up so that you can use an LUA
in the fashion you are used to, and may be one reason that Microsoft doesn't
force you into that mode by default and refuse to allow you to make a second
Admin account without more hoops, but it is well worth it to make the effort
and set it up in the LUA fashion.

EdB

--
"I'm a Night Elf Mohawk!" - Mr. T.