Here in Houston we have a lot of what are euphemistically called
"undocumented immigrants," which is a term for people from (mostly)
Mexico who sneak across the border and come here to work.  Most of them
are hard-working decent people who have no future in Mexico for
themselves or their families, due to a lot of reasons.  They can find
work and make money to support their extended families here and back home.

There is a small percentage of these people who seem to account for a
lot of the mayhem that goes on in the greater Houston area (leaving out
Katrina "evacuees" which is whole 'nuther story).  They rob and assault
and invade homes (and cars) of people in broad daylight, fast and hard,
in 2s and 3s.  Its pretty easy work.  In our little community, which a
separate city within Houston, this happens every couple of weeks, older
people or women alone followed home from the store, dinner, etc.  There
is no defense except what you can do yourself, even though in our
community police response time is maybe 2 minutes from when they get the
call.  But by then, if you manage to call, the perps are gone with your
goods and in recent times, having hurt their victims even when the goods
have been given up.

There have been a few occasions when the victims have been armed and
have dealt with the pending or completed assault, usually to the
detriment of the perp or enough to scare them off.  Many people carry
personal defense, as is their right under the Constitution of the United
States and the laws of Texas and many other states.  As far as I know
there has been vanishingly small, if at all, instances of licensed
carriers harming another individual through their own offensive action.
There have been hundreds of instances of unlicensed carriers (i.e.,
criminals) hurting/killing people.

I went to a lecture a couple of years ago by George Soros to see what
the guy was about.  A young man from West Texas asked him the question,
"Do you believe it is the right of a citizen of the United States to own
and carry guns?"  Soros asked him why he would need to do that.  He
said, "Where I come from it takes an hour for the police to show up if
there is a problem.  I cannot rely on them for protection.  I have to do
it myself."  Soros replied, "Well then it sounds like there is a good
reason to have guns and I support that."  I think Soros is a very
dangerous person (I studied up a lot on him before I went to this
lecture) based on his history and experiences and some of the things he
said there, but at least I think he had the right idea on that point.

--R