>> Disc brake pads do drag very slightly at all times.  The pads do not
>> "pull back" when you release the brake pedal, they just stop
>> squeezing.

They do pull back, a tiny bit, due to the O-ring (square cross-section)
puck seals.  But they usually still drag a little, in part because the
pad is free to lean against the rotor if it likes.

> shop if possible and keep them for spares.  I remember there being a
> controversy at some point on whether Mercedes rotors can be turned or
> not---what was the conclusion?

They _can_ be turned, but they should not be unless they are grossly
damaged _and_ are not already too thin.  Minor ridging is not a
problem, new pads will bed to it, and in fact may even brake better
because there is more surface area.

-- Jim