I have a friend with an older buick with the 3800. He says he has a ticking
noise in the engine when it is cold.  The noise goes away when warm.  Sounds
like a lifter to me.  I remember when I was at the dealership, there were
several cars that had this problem.  Most of the time it was people who were
not very consistent with oil changes.  I also remember that some of these had
this noise for years and thousands of miles. So, any ideas what I should tell
him.   Will a weak/bad lifter get worse?  Will it cause any other problems?
Should he try one of the many engine treatments like Rislone or any of the
others?

Donald H. Snook
1997 Ford Explorer For Sale