Just came back from picking up some camera stuff from
a guy on CL. Amazingly, the guy had a 1985 300TD
sitting in his driveway....

We started talking about the car, and I discovered
that he's looking
to sell it. He just had open heart surgery and his
kids convinced
him to buy something smaller, so he now drives a Jetta
TDI. Here's
the deal:

1985 300TD
155,000 original miles
Dealer maintained
All records
3,000 mile oil changes
Dark blue
Has crossmembers on roof rack
No 3rd seat
Good tires

The only negatives I saw or learned of were:

Paint is tired. Needs a serious Mercedes Martha
Stewart detailing,
but it's in good shape. Interior looks good,
everything is intact,
wood is good, blue custom sheepskins on the front.
Minor (very) rust in some of the wheel arches, not
rust through, but places where the paint has chipped
on the edge and the exposed metal has rusted. Nothing
of size, just some little chips here and there.  Back
edge of hood has some surface rust right on the very
back edge.  He says the AC needs to be recharged - it
blows cool, but not cold.  Otherwise he says
everything is in working order.

I did not drive or run it - I just did a cursory
walk-around and this
is what I saw. Everything else is based on what he
told me. The guy
is an expat from the UK and must be loaded, based on
the size of the
house and the stuff in and around it. The car was
purchased new in
Seattle and lived there for a few years before being
moved to Florida.

He was looking for $7k. I told him it was worth $6k in
it's present
condition. He's pretty savvy, and has been watching
prices on eBay
and CL around here, so he's not about to be taken. He
wants to be
rid of it, but he's not going to give it away. He's
aware of the biodiesel garbage and how it's driven
prices up, to give you an idea of how well-versed he
is on the situation.  He seemed satisfied with that
number and said if he could get $6k he would be happy.

I would say that if you're looking for what appears to
be a good,
solid wagon with a lot of life left in it, this would
be a good
deal. If someone wants to buy it I would be more than
happy to bring
it over to my place and work my detailing magic on it
just for the
sheer fun of it.

If you're interested, drop me a note off-list.  If I
had the coin I would jump on this, but there is no way
short of cashing out some of my 401k earnings that I
could come up with the $$.

Dan

Be a better friend, newshound, and